Skip to product information
1 of 13

The History of Marion On the Sturt by Alison Dolling

The History of Marion On the Sturt by Alison Dolling

Regular price $22.00 AUD
Regular price Sale price $22.00 AUD
Sale Sold out
Shipping calculated at checkout.

The History of Marion On the Sturt

The Story of a Changing Landscape and its People

by Alison Dolling

Peacock Publications, 1981, [First Edition], ISBN 0909209480, black and white photographic plates, black and white photographs throughout, illustrated endpapers, hardcover with gilt lettering, photocopied dustjacket

Very Good Condition, a little edge and shelf wear, a little rubbing and bumping to edges and corners, photocopied dustjacket slightly smaller than book, dustwrapper information purposes only, shows minor edge and shelf wear with minor rubbing and bumping (see photographs)

“The Village of Marion began as a settlement of pise and mud huts around the wooded precincts of the Sturt River.  It was surveyed in November 1838 by Colonel William Light and his team, which included the properties of the village, Henry Nixon and Boyle travers Finniss, the latter in 1857 becoming the first premier of South Australia.  At the time of the survey, the way to the South Coast passed the site of the village which soon became a landmark to travellers along the route – later the Main South Road.
In its early years the village was closely associated with the fishing village of Brighton, both of them being part of what was then called the District Council of Brighton which extended from Hallett Cove to Glenelg along the coast.  From the diversity of the topography within the Council boundaries there developed a corresponding diversity of life-styles and occupations from mining, brickmaking and the manufacture of Portland cement, to horse breeding, framing and grapegrowing. “


View full details